View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0011564||Scribus||Usability||public||2013-06-01 04:17||2015-02-18 06:48|
|Platform||x86_64||OS||Linux||OS Version||OpenSUSE 12.1|
|Summary||0011564: Missing gradient functionality|
|Description||There are some serious functionality gaps with respect to gradients. Please let me explain which and why.|
1. Currently, 1.5svn allows for using two completely distinct types of gradients, namely those created in a Scribus document via the PP and those imported via Edit > Colours & Fills.
2. A gradient created in Scribus doesn't show up in the Colours & Fills dialog, in spite of the fact that gradients and patterns can only be imported into a document. It's currently impossible to make them available via the Prefs or the C&F dialog with no doc open for all new Scribus docs.
3. With a document open, users can import Scribus gradients (file extension SGR) but how on earth can these be created? There is no option to export a gradient to SGR, and since no spec is available they can't even be created manually. In other words, the SGR import feature is useless.
4. Even worse, users can't import gradients from an existing SLA file.
5. Gradients are missing as an option in the "Item Tools" in Doc Setup and Prefs.
|Additional Information||At the very least, Scribus needs the following features:|
1. An option to add user-created gradients to the G&F dialog.
2. An option to export user-created or imported gradients as SGR.
3. An option to import gradients from existing SLA files.
Additional functionality (perhaps post 1.6) should include:
- Gradients as part of the Item Tools in Doc Setup/Prefs.
- An option to automatically add and update user-created gradients to the G&F dialog.
- A tabbed G&F dialog or, looking ahead even further, a reasonably designed resource manager.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
Why can user-defined gradients not be added to the C&F dialog?
How are users supposed to create and exchange SGR files if the function to create them is absent?
These are simply loose ends in terms of usability that need to be fixed before the release of 1.6.0.
Kicking the can down the road doesn't make the current situation any better.
|2013-06-01 04:17||christoph_s||New Issue|
|2013-06-01 04:17||christoph_s||Status||new => assigned|
|2013-06-01 04:17||christoph_s||Assigned To||=> fschmid|
|2013-06-01 21:33||jghali||Target Version||1.5.0 =>|
|2013-06-02 06:33||christoph_s||Note Added: 0030221|
|2015-02-18 06:48||christoph_s||Relationship added||related to 0008823|