View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0008806||Scribus||Canvas||public||2010-02-13 16:26||2016-06-05 14:19|
|Platform||64-bit||OS||Linux||OS Version||Fedora 12|
|Summary||0008806: Strange display of automatic linked frames when pages inserted (pages get bumped out of doc flow)|
|Description||This may be pushing the envelope in ways that do not (seem to) make sense, but I wanted to see what would happen if you create automatic frames of N number of pages, then added a new page somewhere in the middle.|
What happens is that the added page is blank, and you see on the canvas what appears to be a text frame, linked, but no document page. Screengrabs to be uploaded.
|Steps To Reproduce||Create a new document, select automatic frames for a certain number of pages. Put in some text which overflows your pages.|
Page > Insert, but insert somewhere in the middle, not the end.
Check the canvas display.
|Tags||autoframes, linked frames|
|related to||0010091||new||Unwanted space appears at the beginning and end of text frames|
|related to||0001098||acknowledged||Feature request ot manually integrate Shift+Click automatic text frames (without using mouse)|
|related to||0011046||confirmed||Adding page w/Text frames in to preexisting Automatic Text Frames will bump said text frames to last page outside of canvas|
|related to||0007584||confirmed||Automatic Textframes of generated new page are at the wrong position|
|related to||0010143||new||errors with automatic text frames when inserting pages|
The second screengrab (auto_linking_weirdness.png) is what happens when you remove the blank page.
Also, if you save this document and reload, it still looks like this.
Given how document with automatic linked frames are supposed to work, i'm asking myself if it makes sense to allow adding pages anywhere except to the end of doc. In all cases i can think of, the final result is equivalent to adding pages to end of doc.
Two reactions to this:
1. then why does Scribus allow you to add a page in the middle? I don't know what the "right" answer is to that, but I think it should make some sense.
2. aside from that, what is to be done about text frames appearing on the scratch space where there is no document page? It seems they could at least not be visible and revert to a situation where they are not shown. This is the next candidate for a "stable" version after all.
1. That makes sense for docs without automatic frames. For doc with automatic frames, text will (or should) flow automatically beginning at the first page, so for those docs adding pages at the beginning, in the middle or at the end is equivalent to adding pages at the end.
2. The problem resides in the function which reposition objects after page insertion. That function suppose new pages do not contain any object, which is wrong for doc with automatic text frames. Unfortunately this issue is a tough one to fix and will probably require changes across the whole code base.
Looking at the code, there is indeed no way to insert pages correctly except at the end for docs with automatic text frames.
There are also strange results when you delete pages and then undo (1.4.6 on Windows 10):
* Create New Document (Double-sided, A4, 7 Pages, Automatic Text Frames).
* Zoom out to 12.5%.
* Right-click frame on page 1.
* Choose Sample Text and add 50 paragraphs of random English text.
* Change Font Size to 30pt with 30pt spacing.
* Menu "View -> Show Text Chain" to display text chain.
* Select Page 4.
* Menu "Page -> Delete" and choose pages 4 and 5.
* Press "Undo".
A frame is shown where page 12 would be and another is down to the left of that where no pages should be.
Relationship (?) 0010091
I added the list, but I'm not sure.
|2010-02-13 16:26||gpittman||New Issue|
|2010-02-13 16:26||gpittman||File Added: auto_linking_weirdness1.png|
|2010-02-13 16:29||gpittman||File Added: auto_linking_weirdness.png|
|2010-02-13 16:30||gpittman||Note Added: 0023258|
|2010-02-13 17:05||jghali||Status||new => confirmed|
|2010-02-13 17:06||jghali||Note Added: 0023259|
|2010-02-13 17:07||jghali||Note Edited: 0023259|
|2010-02-13 17:07||jghali||Note Edited: 0023259|
|2010-02-13 18:04||gpittman||Note Added: 0023260|
|2010-02-14 11:52||jghali||Note Added: 0023271|
|2010-02-14 22:06||jghali||Note Added: 0023280|
|2010-02-14 22:07||jghali||Note Edited: 0023280|
|2016-02-14 13:54||Kunda||Relationship added||related to 0001098|
|2016-04-14 14:23||Kunda||Tag Attached: autoframes|
|2016-04-14 14:23||Kunda||Tag Attached: linked frames|
|2016-05-24 13:14||Kunda||Patch||=> No|
|2016-05-24 13:14||Kunda||Summary||Strange display of automatic linked frames when pages inserted => Strange display of automatic linked frames when pages inserted (pages get bumped out of doc flow)|
|2016-05-26 14:02||Kunda||Relationship added||related to 0011046|
|2016-05-26 14:02||Kunda||Relationship added||related to 0007584|
|2016-05-26 14:03||Kunda||Relationship added||related to 0010143|
|2016-06-05 13:47||GarryP||Note Added: 0041609|
|2016-06-05 14:13||PeterBenedek||Relationship added||related to 0010091|
|2016-06-05 14:19||PeterBenedek||Note Added: 0041611|